SW1X DAC V
SW1X Audio Design™ DAC V Performance Level 5 D to A Converter
DAC V is our top of the line, super DAC. It is the signal output transformer de-coupled version of the DAC III, powered by Directly Heated Triodes and Directly Heated Diodes. Components & materials inside the DAC V are the finest availble and are harmonically matched to the highest possible degree.
Signal Output Transformer de-coupling of the Valve Output Stage is the closest approximation to a truely “invisibly” sounding DAC.
The major benefits of having a signal output transformer (L- inductive loading & de-coupling) over a resistor-capacitor (RC) signal de-coupling is as following:
- Signal output transformers can become invisible components only if the finest core materials, wires and optimum winding techniques are employed – the transparency as well as linearity are improved relative to capacitors, which all tend to mask low level nuances
- The dynamics are stepped up because the tube is inductively loaded (one gets all the gain of a tube but at lower DCR) unlike with a high value resistor (which lessens dynamics)
- The output impedance of a tube output stage is lowered (stepped down, squared root of the ratio), which gives a better drive to the consecutive amplification stage. This in turn provides a more convincing dynamic realism
Available in different versions: Special and the limited Signature version with different signal output transformer options (Permalloy or Super HiB) and wiring.
SW1X Audio Design™ DAC V Features:
- Non-oversampling – Zero Digital Filtering R2R DAC Design
- Specially Selected and Harmonically Matched Component & Material Quality
- Zero NFB, Directly Heated Power Triode Valve Output Stage, C-core Signal Output Transformer De-coupled
- Discrete Transistor Shunt Voltage Regulated Low Volatge Power Supplies
- Dynamic Element Matching (DEM) powered by Valves with Valve rectified, Choke filtered B+ Power Supply
- Quasi Mono, Directly Heated Double Diode Valve Rectified CLCx2LC (3 x choke filtered) B+ Power Supply
- Supports up to 24Bit/96kHz (optional up to 48 kHz Purist Red Book playback only) digital coaxial S/PDIF signal input
- Orient grain M6 EI core mains Transformers & Chokes (Super HiB DC core is optional)
- Black Gate capacitors around TDA1541
- XLR AES/EBU or I2S input
- Fine silver wiring in selected places
- TDA1541R Selected or optional TDA1541A S1 or S2 Selected Crown version
- EI core (standard) or Super HiB DC-core (optional) mains transformers
- DHT output stage with a choice of transformer core (SHiB and 80% Nickel Permalloy 2 x C cores)
- Inter-stage signal decoupling capacitors: 1. Copper Foil in Oil or 2. Silver Foil capacitors
- Black Gate capacitors in the power supplies
- Super HiB double C-Core mains transformers for the digital and DHT/DHD power supplies
- AN 2W silver, non-magnetic, tantalum resistors
- Fine silver windings on primaries or/and secondaries of the signal output transformers is optional
Note: Due to SW1X Audio Design’s ongoing research and development process, specifications are subject to change without notice
Dimensions: Height (mm) 250 x Width (mm) 440 x Depth (mm) 400
Weight (kg): 23
Max Power Consumption (W): 80
Output Noise, Unweighted (mVrms): < 0.5
Output Impedance (Ohms): <10
Tube Compliment: 2 x 6SL9, 2 x 45 or 2 x (71A/45/AD1/300B) , 1 x 5Z3/80,1 x E180F, 1 x EAA91
We do not recommend purchasing a key system component without first auditioning it carefully, which is why we have demonstration rooms and a flexible home loan policy.
However in certain situations it can be difficult for people to get to our showroom and for those instances we can offer our mail order service.